To join APP City or APP Residential students must meet both our academic and social background criteria. How students receive our support then depends on where they live in the country.
APP City – students must live within an hour using public transport to the centre of either Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester or Newcastle and meet two sets of criteria; background and academic.
APP Residential – students can live anywhere in the UK outside London and must meet two sets of criteria; background and academic.
Students may also be able to apply for APP Reach, please see the page for further information.
- Currently in Year 12 (England & Wales), S5 (Scotland) or Year 13 (Northern Ireland)
- Predicted at least ABB at A-level, ABBB at Higher or IB equivalent
- Have at least 5 A grades at GCSE or 5 A/B grades at National 5
- Have at least 4 A grades at GCSE or 4 A/B grades at National 5 AND took these at a school on this list (List A)
- If you are studying at a Scottish school where you take your Highers over two years (between S4 and S5) are predicted ABBB
Some of our sectors have particular academic requirements. You can find out what these are by reading about our additional requirements here. For information on Progress 8 and Attainment 8 please see page 3 of our Teacher Guidance Notes.
- Are personally eligible for Free School Meals (household income is below £16,190 if in England/Wales/Northern Ireland or £16,105 if in Scotland) during secondary schooling
- Are the first generation in their family to attend university in the UK AND attend a school on this list (List B)
To find out the definition of ‘first generation’ and for more information please read our Frequently Asked Questions page here.
We assess eligible students on the basis of the quality of their completed application form, their school/college context, family background and history of higher education and teacher reference. To find out the reasons for our eligibility criteria, please click here.
Please use the following table to identify what programme you can apply to:
|APP City||APP J.P. MORGAN RESIDENTIAL||APP KPMG RESIDENTIAL||APP LAW RESIDENTIAL||APP MEDICINE RESIDENTIAL||APP JACOBS
|Target City||All sectors||Banking & Finance||Accountancy||Law||Medicine||Engineering|
|✶||Can only apply if you live in England (excluding London)|
Further resources can be found here.