Job Title: Employer Index Manager
Location: Based near any SMF target City (London, Birmingham, Cardiff, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow) with a mix of home and office working
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 12pm, 27th September, 2021
Virtual Interviews: Week commencing 4th October 2021
About the Social Mobility Foundation and the Department for Opportunities
The Social Mobility Foundation is a high profile national charity with offices across the UK. We help thousands of young people from low income backgrounds enter universities and professions through programmes of mentoring, internships, university application support and skills development. Building on the knowledge we have gained from 15 years of delivering programmes and working with young people we are now building our influence and campaigning more widely to improve social mobility across the UK.
Through our campaign arm, the Department for Opportunities, we run campaigns based on research, make policy recommendations, identify best practice and influence organisations and decision makers with the aim of reversing the declining levels of social mobility in the UK. And through the Social Mobility Employers Index, which ranks UK employers on how open they are to talent from all social backgrounds and showcases progress towards social mobility, we shape and influence employer practice on social mobility and share valuable insights with researchers and policy makers. We strive for excellence in everything we do and the right candidate will be joining an enthusiastic, committed and successful team, which has high expectations for the young people we support.
About the Social Mobility Index
The Social Mobility Employer Index ranks UK employers on how open they are to talent from all social backgrounds, showcases progress on social mobility and has significantly added to the understanding and promotion of social mobility among employers. Now in its fifth year, the Employer Index has become the leading authority on employer-led social mobility. You can see the 2020 key findings report and top 75 here – we will be publishing the 2021 Index this autumn.
Our ambition is to grow the Index both in size and influence, encouraging new sectors and types of organisations to enter, championing and influencing good practice and mobilising employer led social mobility.
Reporting line: Head of Advocacy and Campaigns
Salary band: £31,000 – £37,000 per annum plus £2000 London weighting (if applicable).
Benefits: 25 days annual leave; bonus annual leave days between Christmas and New Year; 5% employer pension contribution after a satisfactory completion of a four month probation period; flexible working hours.
Hours: Full time (37.5 hours) 9am-5.30pm (flexible working hours available)
About the role
This is a newly created role and we are looking for a highly motivated, ambitious individual to lead the development of the Index. We are looking to increase the scale and impact of the Index significantly over the next few years and you will play a crucial part in that development, with opportunities to grow the team in the future.
As Employer Index Manager, you will:
- Play a leading role in the long term development of the Index, thinking about how we can achieve our ambition and grow the influence of the Index with key stakeholders
- Evolve the employer and employee survey in line with external developments in social mobility
- Project manage the end-to-end delivery including employer recruitment, assessment and evaluation, and the key findings report
- Oversee a project team who will help contribute to the design and delivery of the Index drawing on resources and skills from across the charity including policy & research, communications and employer relations
In addition to your work on the Index, you will also contribute to the development of our Department for Opportunities campaigns and broader work advocating for social mobility, influencing and mobilising employers and developing our programmes. You will:
- Share insights from the Index with colleagues across the SMF
- Update the team on external policy developments that relate to social mobility
- Contribute to government consultation responses
- Attend stakeholder briefings
- Prepare briefings for the CEO and senior team as required
Person Specification/ Experience
- This role would suit someone who has experience of working in a policy role or Corporate Social Responsibility or Environment Social Corporate Governance focused role
- Strong project management experience
- Self-sufficient and proactive, with the ability to manage work independently
- A creative problem-solver who spots opportunities for growth
- Experience in working across teams and collaborating on projects
- Able to manage a number of different work streams at any given time, completing them to a high quality
- Able to identify and maintain external relationships with key stakeholders, particularly Employer Index entrants
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Able to analyse data and interpret findings accurately
- Confident using Excel
- Able to present findings in a compelling and accessible way, both written and verbally
- Excellent attention to detail
- A demonstrable interest in the work of the Social Mobility Foundation
- Developing the existing Index assessment process including streamlining and updating Employer Index questions to reflect wider societal changes
- Developing Index marking system to ensure consistency and efficiency
- Developing the individual employer reports which all entrants receive
- Managing a project team including internal colleagues and external agencies to contribute to the delivery of the Index
- Working with the Employer Relations and Business Development team to market and promote the Index to new and existing employers across the UK
- Ensure regular communications are sent to new and existing employers
- Respond to entrant queries throughout the year, offering support where needed
- Lead on Index submission marking, scoring and moderation
- Analysing data from the Index and interpreting findings to produce meaningful insights
- Presenting insights internally and externally to promote the importance of the Index and raise awareness of the key findings
- Work with external agency to collate Index insight reports (which are sent to each Index entrant)
- Work with external agency to write an annual key-findings report which serves as the leading source of insight in the UK on the issue of social mobility
PLEASE NOTE, we do not accept CVs.
Interested candidates should apply by sending the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12pm, 27th September 2021:
- Outline why you are interested in the role and your suitability (max 500 words)
- Tell us which sector you would target to encourage participation in the 2022 Employer Index, why and how (max 300 words)
We value ability and potential more than specific experience, and we are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities. We actively encourage applications from people from low socio-economic backgrounds, from people who are care-experienced, and from people who are Black, Asian or of minoritised ethnicity.
Please note that generic applications will not be considered. If you have any questions about the role, please contact Liz Grace- Head of External Relations & Business Development email@example.com or Rosalind Goates – Head of Advocacy and Campaigns, firstname.lastname@example.org for an informal conversation.