We are looking for an individual with a strong background and experience in HR who can support our rapidly growing and developing team at an exciting time for The Social Mobility Foundation (SMF). We’re seeking someone who is passionate about the work we do, shares our values and can play a key role in helping us build a strong team and culture. You will work as part of a small operations team, but will build strong relationships across the whole organisation.
Title: Senior HR Officer
Place of work: London office: The Timber Yard, 17 Drysdale Street, London N1 6ND. We would consider remote working for this role for the right candidate, but occasional visits to the London office and travel to external events, meetings and SMF regions would be required.
Salary: £30,000 – £33,000, + £2,000 London Weighting if applicable.
Reporting to: Head of Finance and Operations
Line Reports: None planned currently but potentially in the future
Contract and hours: Full-time (37.5 hours per week), permanent contract. We would consider a 30 hour a week contract for the right candidate. Occasional evening or weekend work may be required, for which time off in lieu will be given.
Benefits: 25 days holiday per year pro rata, plus bank holidays. Flexible working. Employer and employee contribution to pension following successful probation period, in line with auto-enrolment pension requirements.
Start date: As soon as possible
Closing date: Midnight 22nd June 2022. Please note we will be scheduling interviews as we receive applications and may decide to close the application window early.
About the Opportunity
We are looking for an individual with strong experience in HR who can play a key role in helping us build a strong team and culture fit for growth. This is the first formal HR role SMF has ever hired and we are excited to have someone take a lead in these key areas as we prepare for further growth as an organisation.
The successful candidate will be passionate about the work of SMF and share our values: they are at the heart of all we do. You will be committed to building a strong culture of equality, diversity and inclusion, helping us to take forward our work in these areas. As a charity that champions Social Mobility you will help us do what we ask others to do through the application of our HR function. You will need to be comfortable taking the initiative and working independently, whilst able to build strong relationships across all levels of the team. Attention to detail, discretion and outstanding communication skills are all critical to success in this role, as well as the ability to prioritise effectively and manage a varied workload.
Comprehensive induction and training will be provided. SMF is committed to providing development opportunities for its staff, and as a growing charity there are plenty of opportunities to take on new areas of responsibility.
People, culture & wellbeing
- Provide wellbeing support for the team: Ensure there are strong wellbeing offers across SMF (e.g. manage Head Space subscription, Health Assured offers)
- Coordinate the scheduling and management of team days and whole team meetings
- Implement and then lead on the annual staff survey, including analyzing results and making recommendations for further improvements to the senior management team
- Ensure the accuracy of all employee data and understand its importance to other business processes e.g. payroll.
- Continue implementing and championing the recently launched coaching model and competency framework
- Liaise with the Senior Finance Officer regarding staff salaries, any changes, overtime, parental leave etc.
- Provide support to line managers in implementing HR policy, including annual leave and escalating where there are issues. Keep up to date with any developments in HR law
- Update the staff handbook on an annual basis
- Process staff DBS checks on the update service, carry out DBS renewals for staff, be a port of call with the rest of the safeguarding team for concerns
- Work with the designated safeguarding officer to ensure staff have the right safeguarding training
- Coordinate and support managers with the review process – ensuring timelines and processes are clear, support with any training needed to run reviews effectively.
- Coordinate and support managers with the performance management process – ensuring timelines and processes are clear, support with any training needed to manage any process effectively.
Recruitment and Learning & Development (L&D)
- Coordinate learning and development across the organisation – ensure we have a clear package of training offers for the right people, plan training for the whole team and ensure that people are trained in the things they need to be, including obligatory training and training for development.
- Support the Head of Finance and Operations in forming, and implementing, an organizational L&D strategy to ensure L&D is fit for purpose and staff have appropriate and challenging opportunities for professional development.
- Manage the recruitment process for new hires – ensure job packs and adverts are prepared and advertised in a timely fashion, initial sifting of applications, plan interviews (dates, panels, invites), take references and confirm contracts. Ensure the process is inclusive and diverse.
- Have oversight and coordinate the implementation of the pay and reward offer for SMF, including ensuring the correct policies are in place and are adhered to.
- Manage new starter and leaver processes.
Strategy & Leadership
- Work with others in the team to help drive forward and implement our equity and inclusion policy.
- Work with the Department of Opportunities, and others, to ensure that SMF HR practices and culture match our expectations for other organisations, in terms of being socially mobile and inclusive.
- Work with the Senior Management Team and Head of Finance and Operations to develop and implement HR policies, procedures and guidance documents, ensuring legal compliance and best practice.
- Lead on HR related projects as required by Senior Management Team and Head of Finance and Operations (e.g. remote working arrangements, HR record digitisation, any future office moves).
- Support and develop a positive working culture across all teams and staff
- Qualified by experience or qualification
- At least 3 year’s experience as an HR administrator or Manager.
- Experience of using and being responsible for a Human Resources Information System (HRIS).
- Able to work flexibly under your own initiative to achieve objectives.
Knowledge & skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong project management skills.
- Good organisation skills with the ability to work independently to meet deadline.
- Strong people management skills and experience; ability to be approachable and discreet when required.
- Good verbal, written and numeracy skills.
- Strong IT skills and highly competent managing an HRIS.
- Proven attention to detail and the ability to prioritise a diverse and varied workload.
PLEASE NOTE, we do not accept CVs.
Interested candidates should apply by sending a cover letter, max 500 words, to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on 22nd June 2022. In your letter please make reference to the following points:
- Outline of why you are interested in the role
- Why you are suitable for the role
Please note that generic applications will not be considered. If you have any questions about the role, please contact Tom Hardyman – Head of Finance and Operations email@example.com